Criminal justice reform is a vast issue area with dozens of concerns, both federal and local, that need reform. To begin, Stand Together Trust is focusing its attention on six specific areas of concern.
In our “In 60 Seconds” video series Vikrant Reddy, senior research fellow focusing on criminal justice reform, explains each area and offers initial steps for solutions. Through research, grants, and partnerships in these six areas, the Institute looks to support reform efforts.
- Collateral Consequences: Improving public safety starts with successfully reintegrating restored citizens into society.
- The Role of Policing: We have gotten further away from police officers who know their communities and whom their neighbors trust.
- Civil Asset Forfeiture: Innocent people have their property taken away every day, but together we can change that.
- Overcriminalization: The United States has so many laws that no one knows how many there are.
- Mandatory Minimums: People are spending more time in prison—and it isn’t making us safer.
- Mens Rea or “Accidental Criminals”: From mislabeling flowers to releasing balloons into the air, see how people have faced fines and even jail time for these “crimes.”